Easy and breezy is the basis for tropical style — getting back to nature and a taste of the jungle. Gauzy curtains and canopies mix with dark forests and punchy florals. Natural textures feel right at home with lush plants, and a chic fan makes every thing comfy.
Related: So Your Design Is: Tropical
Hyacinth Natural Drum Table – $269
Natural textures are a excellent way to bring a bit of the tropics home. Rattan furniture, basket-inspired accessories, driftwood and shells all bring a little nature to a space.
• Ethan Allen’s side dining table will add only enough feel to your area.
• Shop Organize for a hanging basket seat — a really entertaining way to add a natural touch.
• World Market has fairly, not obsolete wicker furniture.
Bryne Internet – $19.99
Netting draped softly around your bed (even if you don’t have a canopy bed) creates the sense of a tropical retreat. Pick up preconstructed netting (complete with hanging hardware) or do it yourself with soft, gauzy cloth and a hook from the ceiling.
• Ikea includes a few hanging baits.
• West Elm has gauzy curtains that may be hung on a canopy bed or out of curtain rods mounted to the ceiling all around your bed.
Anthurium Hawaiian Volcano Plant – $55
Tropical plants are a must. Try a mixture of tabletop and floor plants. Take note of how much light they will need.
• VivaTerra has a few tropical options, like this one.
• Armstrong Garden Center includes one of my favorite large plants, the fiddle leaf fig tree.
• Check the regional garden center, nursery or even Ikea for additional tropical plants and get the opinion of an expert.
Chesapeake Dual Chaise and Cushion – $999
If you’re fortunate enough to have an outside space, bring your tropical style outside to perform. Get the most out of whatever space you have with seating, colorful pillows and, of course, a place to set your umbrella drink.
• Pottery Barn has an extensive line of outdoor furniture in most sizes.
• Home Infatuation has unique and comfy-looking pieces.
• Browse for a ceramic garden feces — it goes with anything and is weather resistant.
Minka Aire F519 Ceiling Fan – $279.95
Ceiling fans can be a massive eyesore, but in areas of the nation (and authentic tropical homes) they are just necessary. Why not pick one that seems chic?
• Lighting Universe has this slick style in various finishes.
• Ceiling Fan Universe comes with a fantastic selection.
Diane von Furstenberg Giant Grass Duvet – $200
When it comes to fabrics in a tropical-style room, you don’t need to go totally Hawaiian-shirt print (though that wouldn’t be a faux pas). Start looking for daring patterns with a great deal of comparison, punchy florals and a great deal of fresh green.
• Diane Von Furstenberg does plant-inspired right in her bed line.
• Shop Etsy for floral pillows on a budget.
• Layla Grayce makes certain even your lampshades are in on the trend.
Modern Outdoor Cart – $1,399
Utilize products, particularly forests, from the area you wish to emulate. Ipe, teak and bamboo all evoke tropical style.
• Plushpod’s cart will make a fantastic bar or side table.
• Teak furniture can withstand the warmth of a toilet; attempt VivaTerra.
Kendall Wilkinson Design
More inspiration for tropical layout:
Decorating Guide: Tropical Style
Tell us: Is your home decorated in tropical style? Share photos and suggestions below!